Friday, March 12, 2010

Identity

"Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword.
For I have come to 'set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law and a man's enemies will be those of his own household." (Matthew 10:34-36)--Jesus


I affirm that the Divine Presence is in and through all things, all people, and all events. There is one intelligent Law governing all things. We live in this Divine Presence but we usually do not identify with this One Life. We tend to identify in this life with what we do for a living or who we think we are in our role in our families. When we identify our life with what we do as a profession such as teaacher, banker, lawyer, doctor, etc., our true identity with the Divine Presence is diminished. When we identify ourselves only in the role as father, mother, son, daughter, brother, sister, mother-in-law, etc., it clouds our true reality and our true identity. I believe Jesus is expressing a great truth and hoping that we all realize that we are individualized expressions of the One Life(God). There is nothing else. There is no other identity we should consciously hold in our mind and thoughts. Most of us have great difficulty letting go of the human attachments and roles we have in our earthy existence. Jesus identified everything with "my heavenly father" not with the human drama unfolding around him and he was misundertood by his own family, his followers and the Jews of that day who hated him with great passion. So his own words became a self fullfiling prophecy in his own life.

Today as I pray, I am identifying myself, everyone else, and everything I do with the Divine Presence of God. I am not trying to influence people. I am not holding to thoughts to make things happen. Rather, I am still, knowing that God is over all, in all, and through all. There is nothing else to identify with but this One Life. Through my affirmations I am watching, expecting, and knowing that there will be a reaction through whatever I identify with my word. Therefore, I am at ease; I am at peace. I affirm the Divine Presence and Its manifestations as happiness, joy, health, prosperity, and well-being for myself and everyone that I meet or enters my thoughts.

We dwell in him, and he in us, because he hath given us of his Spirit.--1 John 4:13

No comments: