Saturday, November 15, 2008

Essence of Spirit

There is a subtle power within me--the essence of Spirit.

For, lo, he that formeth the mountains, and createth the wind, and declareth unto man what is his thought, that maketh the morning darkness, and treadeth upon the high places of the earth, the Lord, The God of hosts, is his name.--Amos 4:13

The great prophet Amos tells us that "The God of hosts" is the name of the Power that forms the mountains, creates the winds, and declares Its presence in the sanctuary of our own thought. This poetical description of the Spirit of God brings a sense of lightness, of peace, and of transcendent joy. Amos seems to have lifted the load of life in his declaration that the Spirit treads upon the high places of the earth. This transcendent thought of God should ever be with us, and , like Jesus, we should walk over the waves of human disturbance rather than being submerged by them.

Life does not depend upon something outside itself, but immediately precipitates itself in our experience when we recognize it. It is this divine recognition that gives us transcendent power over everything, and we may rely upon this law for it is absolute. "Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth."

There is this subtle power within me which is the essence of Spirit. I am sustained. I am guided. I am guarded. I am kept in the way of peace, prosperity, and joy. Every atom of my being is vibrant with life, alive with deathless self existence. There is a song within me today that finds its echo in everything I do, causing the deaf to hear, the blind to see, and awakens the paralysis of fear into life and action.

No comments: